Monday, July 26, 2010

Pass the broccoli please

Obviously broccoli is a healthy food choice.  (I'm not talking about when you have it swimming in cheese.)  I just didn't realize how many health benefits it actually has.  I've heard it called a super-food but didn't really know what that meant so today I did some research.  Apparently broccoli helps increase your ability to burn fat by increasing your metabolism.  It's a non-starchy vegetable so it's a free food for me.  For those of you that don't know, I'm on Jenny Craig and a free food is something that I can eat an unlimited amount of because it's low in calories and generally healthy all around.  I've always liked steamed broccoli but recently I found an even better way to cook broccoli.

Roasted Broccoli Recipe:
Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds broccoli chopped into florets
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Half red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped (or more if you are me and love the taste of garlic)
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
-Spread the broccoli on a roasting pan.
-Sprinkle olive oil, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper on broccoli.
-Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes on 500 degrees.  Turn broccoli half way through.

I have to say that this broccoli is fantastic.  The name of the recipe is actually "burnt broccoli," but I figured no one would want to try the recipe with a name like that.
Broccoli has many health benefits including:
 -Reducing the risk of peptic ulcers
 -Preventing stomach cancer
 -Contains twice the vitamin C of an orange
 -Antioxidant

Ever noticed that you can't find broccoli on the canned food aisle?  Basically it's because broccoli cannot withstand the canning process.  It would come out of the can wilted and discolored.  Not very appetizing to consumers seeing as the florets are the most popular part of broccoli and would come out of the can as a mushy mess.

How do you feel about chocolate?  How do you feel about chocolate covered broccoli?  I'm not sure what I think about this but it's not something that I can try right now because of Jenny Craig.  I'm posting the recipe anyway because it's just too weird not to.

Chocolate Broccoli:
Ingredients:
-Large head of broccoli
-1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
-1/3 cup peanut butter
-1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Directions:
-Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper.
-Chop broccoli into pieces.
-Melt peanut butter and chocolate chips in a microwave save bowl on 50% power for 30 second intervals.  Stir between each interval until melted.
-Dip each pice of broccoli into the chocolate mixture.
-Sprinkle with sea salt and refrigerate for 20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I may have to try the chocolate covered broccoli! I love the chocolate and salt combination, as weird as it is...thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete