Thursday, April 8, 2010

Cookie Monster

So I have a confession to make.  I have no self control when it comes to baking at home.  By that I mean that I will devour an entire tray of brownies if they are left in the house.  YIKES!  My mother-in-law is a fantastic cook and baker.  While hubby was deployed last year she sent him all kinds of yummy treats in the mail.  One time I volunteered to mail the cookies that she had baked for him in a package that I had already started to put together. Ok, so here comes confession number two.  It is possible that I might have eaten a few of the cookies that she made for my hubby...Ok, so maybe I ate the entire bag of soft molasses cookies. See, this blog thing really makes me honest.   This was over a year ago but I've decided that it's time to bake hubby some soft molasses cookies to make up for the ones I ate during his last deployment.  So this post is dedicated to my insatiable sweet tooth.  Probably should forewarn you that molasses is pretty stinky :)  In an attempt to pre-burn calories that I knew I would eat, I walked to the grocery store to buy my supplies. Maybe I helped save the earth too.



Betty Crocker's Soft Molasses Cookie Recipe:
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup molasses
1 large egg
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In large bowl, beat sugar, sour cream, butter, shortening, molasses and egg with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon.  Stir in remaining ingredients.
3. On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart.
4. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until almost no indentation remains when touched in center.  Cool 1 to 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.  Sprinkle with additional sugar while warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment