Saturday, April 10, 2010

Grill Sergeant

I am feeling quite independent tonight.  I used the grill by myself for the very first time.  No it's not a self lighting grill either. Probably not a very big accomplishment but I'm just excited about it.  I grilled some chicken burgers that were quite delicious.  I wonder if I can qualify to become a Grill Sergeant now?  For those of you who haven't had the wonderful opportunity to watch AFN like we did living over seas, you need to check out the Grill Sergeants on the Pentagon Channel.  The Grill Sergeants are a group of Chefs in the military and they rotate hosting a cooking show that's filmed inside of the San Diego Naval Base.  They have corny catch phrases, great cooking tips, and yummy recipes.  I think they are trying to be a knockoff of Emeril Live because they even have a band with them in the commissary that plays music into the commercial breaks.  My FAVORITE part of the show is watching all the shoppers in the background.  It just cracks me up to see someone walk in front of the camera to get some cheese.  Check it out sometime. It's certainly good for some laughs.

I wanted to celebrate my big girl accomplishment tonight by making one of my favorite sides, broccoli salad.  I forgot to take a picture but it was quite delicious and I will eat the leftovers tomorrow for lunch.  It's a great light side for a cookout or a warm summer night.  Enjoy!

Broccoli Salad Recipe: (I adapted this recipe from an episode of Down home with The Neely's on Foodnetwork.)
   2 broccoli heads or 8 cups
   1/2 red onion, sliced
   2/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
   1/3 cup heart smart mayonnaise (or regular mayo if you prefer)
   1/3 cup sour cream (I always use heart-smart)
   1/3 cup Craisins
   1/2 teaspoon celery salt
   1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
   
Directions:
  Chop the broccoli into florets.  Blanch in lightly salted boiling water until turn a bright green color, about 20 seconds.  Immediately remove them and place them in a bowl full of ice water to prevent them from cooking further.  Drain and reserve.

Combine the remaining ingredients and mix well.  Fold in broccoli until combined.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  (sometimes I throw in a little Italian seasoning too)


No comments:

Post a Comment